Wednesday, June 11, 2008

An Adventure


This picture was taken after our adventure last night.

As you read, keep these two important things in mind: 1. Peter had his first ever sucker last night. 2. W
e have fancy, angular baseboards in our apartment. Remember these.

Peter was a screamer when he was a baby. The boy could hit pitches that would incite the envy of high sopranos everywhere. It was not awesome. Well, he's decided to pull that trick out again.

Yesterday morning we were playing in his room and I was feeding Cooper when Peter started to scream. This is the conversation that followed:

Me: Peter, please don't scream.
Peter: (Screaming)

Me: (A little louder) Peter, don't scream! Is there something wrong?
Peter: No.
Me: Are you in danger?
Peter: No.
Me: Peter, screaming is only for when you are in danger and you're trying to get mommy and daddy's attention. There is nothing wrong right now, so please don't scream.
Peter: (After a pause to think) Mommy, may I have some danger please?

Last night, long after he should have been asleep, Peter decided it would be a good idea to climb onto the rail of his toddler bed and jump off. Ah, the reasoning skills of a 2-year-old. Well, he jumped and hit the aforementioned baseboard.

We have a camera baby monitor, so I looked at the screen next to my bed when I heard the loud thud come from his room. I saw Peter on the floor in the middle of his room. We heard a wail and I saw Peter stand up and teeter to his bed. I had just started feeding Cooper, so Bryan ran in to see what happened.

Bryan called me when he saw the blood. Peter had a cut on the back of his head that was about 3/4 of an inch long. Head wounds bleed a lot, did you know? We decided a trip to the ER was in order.

Peter now has 3 staples in the back of his head, all administered without anesthetic (on advice from the doctor) going against my natural inclination; though I did agree to it and Peter was okay once he got the sucker in his mouth. The doctor was really surprised when we said Peter hadn't had one before. I believe his words were, "Wow, that's awesome. You guys are great." Hey, my low-sugar ways have the approval of the medical world - or at least that one ER doctor.

It looks like he got that danger he asked for.

He's fine today, although his head is clearly tender. We have to go back in a week to have the staples removed.

I bet he'll ask for another sucker.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

This makes me think of the adage, “Be careful what you ask for”. I know Peter is only two, but he was extraordinarily polite when he asked for his danger. Good job of teaching manners!