Friday, September 25, 2009

No Nanny Needed

I watched The Nanny Diaries last night. Scarlett Johansson's not my favorite actress, but I had read part of the book (no, not all of it, there was too much bad language for my taste, but I did skip ahead and read the end) and was interested to see what they did in the movie. Bryan and I both kept saying as we watched the movie, "that poor little boy," "this is so sad," "that's awful." At the end of the film, rather than analyze the acting or directing, I had to go check on my sleeping boys and tell them that I love them.

I also kept thinking that I'm so lucky to be a mom who loves her kids and who aches when she's away from them. And I think they're lucky to have parents that are so actively involved in their lives. That might sound arrogant, but it's not meant to. There are so many children whose parents think of them as burdens or accessories, it's breaks my heart a little.


I'm so thankful for these boys. And I'm thankful that I'm thankful.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

You know, when I hear about women who talk about how much they love their kids, the first thing I think of is "what an arrogant person."

Cristin said...

You skipped ahead and read the end of the Nanny Diaries?? Those last few pages had the worst language in the whole book!

Margot said...

I skimmed the last page and a half, if that.