Friday, December 20, 2013

Hey Guys, I Know Kung Fu

We experienced our first kung fu testing and advancement ceremony this week. We thought it would last the duration of their regular one hour class. We were wrong. It took almost three and a half hours. Three classes were tested together, no doubt to inspire the newbies to keep going so they could someday achieve the awesomeness of those testing for their black belts. Lots of "ooohs" and "aaahs" followed the more advanced moves. My favorite was when they were testing with equipment and I heard Peter yell out from his position on the sidelines, "Nun chucks!?!"

It sounds kind of mean, but if I had known it was going to go so long (an hour and a half past bedtime), I would have sent Bryan and the boys without us. I am glad I got to see them show what they've learned, but man, that thing was loooooong. Thank goodness I had food stored in my bag. Phoebe and I shared an apple and what was left of a bag of goldfish crackers.

Here Peter and Cooper are being presented with their new white and yellow belts, a step-up from the white belts they previously wore.


Now they're turning and showing their certificates saying they passed that first level. Also, the whole room applauded for them. The teacher called kids up in familial groupings, probably to both save time and provide good photo ops for the parents.


Here's the whole group that tested and advanced and their teachers. This is why we sat on folding chairs for three hours.


A handful of moms came over and said they were so surprised to see me there and how they thought I'd have been home with a new baby. One told me that she kept thinking about me on my due date, hoping I was well. The sweet feeling of camaraderie among the kids and the moms is my favorite part of this kung fu adventure. It's also good that someone else gets to hand out discipline for an hour twice a week.

1 comment:

Brett M said...

That IS long! Wow!! Now you know for next time :-)

Congrats to the boys and good luck when it comes time for them to get their own nun chucks...