Thursday, December 5, 2013

Like an Elephant, He Never Forgets

Packages often arrive at our house. Bryan is a big fan of online shopping and I'm not always aware that purchases have been made until a brown box shows up on our doorstep. At this time of year we've also been getting packages courtesy of the grandparents, so we're used to hearing a knock, then opening to a cardboard cube.

Since I rarely know what's in the boxes, I can usually say in all honesty, "I don't know," when the kids ask about the contents. When I do know and it's a surprise I just say that I'm not going to tell them. When it's not a surprise I share whatever knowledge I have.

Yesterday two packages arrived. I knew I wasn't supposed to open the first. The second was a complete mystery. Phoebe and Peter crowded behind me as I stepped onto the chilly porch to retrieve it. Peter's first question was, "What is it?" I told him I didn't know. Then he asked, "Is it a Christmas present?" Again, I didn't know.

At that point he turned back to walk into the house and said nonchalantly over his shoulder, "Oh I know, it must be my laminator."

No comments: