Monday, September 14, 2015

Don't Bother Me, I'm Reading

Peter didn't want to go to school today. He said it was because he wanted to stay home and read. He also said he broke his back and couldn't walk, so I'm not sure how reliable the reading excuse is. However, at the start of the year he said he wouldn't do extra-curricular activities because he didn't want to give up more reading time.

His teacher wants me to keep track of all the minutes he reads each day. We've done an abysmal job thus far. I'm tempted to write a note that says, "To Peter reading is like breathing, he does it all the time. Please mark your grade book accordingly."

I finally got him out of bed this morning when I said I would take him to school in his pajamas and bare feet if I had to. I suspect that he had other reasons for not wanting to go, but I'm beginning to wonder if the hobby I've always encouraged and praised is taking over. Can you have too much of a good thing?

1 comment:

Brett M said...

Cat is reading so much these days that I find myself telling her multiple times a day to put the book down, close the book, give me the book, and not to read while she's eating (most of the books are from her teacher's classroom library). She doesn't hear most of what I say to her or have any awareness of anything else going on in the house. It's funny because this week I realized that book have become her world to the extent that tablets and cell phones consume other children. If she didn't have good social skills, I would probably be worried. But for now, I just keep telling her to put the book down so she can actually hear me. And do other things besides read. Because it's good to do other things too.

Sorry about the super long comment...