Thursday, September 24, 2015

Taming the Jungle

I did something today that I've never done before. I mowed the lawn. Yes, in my thirty-five years previous to today I had never pushed a large, blade wielding machine around my yard.

Bryan's schedule is kind of ridiculous this year so he hadn't been able to cut the grass in the two months we've lived here. I kept watching the lawn get taller and taller. Today I stood looking at it thinking, "Boy, I hope Bryan has time to cut the grass on Saturday." Then another thought interrupted that one, "Wait, I can do it!"

The girls played on the patio with chalk and bikes while I mowed the back lawn, far away from where they were sitting. After a break for lunch and putting Sophie down for a nap, I did the side and the part nearest the patio. After we came home from getting the boys I finished the other side. All told it probably took me three hours to do. I stopped a few times to pull weeds and run from aggressive wasps (we think there's an underground nest in the back of the yard), but otherwise that time was spent mowing.

The lawn looks awesome.

The kids loved being able to play out there without hiking gear.

Bryan was really glad to see it was done.

And I'm so very sore, but at least I've got something to show for the pain.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow! I'd love to see pictures of the yard.

Grandma Bonnie said...

I mowed lawns as a kid and adult.. It sounds like you need a ride on mower.I'm proud of youl