Sophie has recently discovered the dark. At bedtime, if she thinks too many lights have been turned off, she'll call out, "Dark! Dark!" until Bryan or I turn a light back on. Usually her tone is informational, sort of a "I'm not sure if you're aware mom, but it just got really dark in here and I think you should do something about it" kind of vibe.
Last night both girls were tucked into bed and chatting loudly while I was reading to Cooper. After a few minutes I realized that Phoebe was calling me. I stayed in Cooper's room and asked what was wrong. "Sophie shut the door." Then my ears tuned in to hear Sophie, no longer talking in her overtired giddiness, but whimpering one word over and over: dark.
I quickly got up and walked to the girls' closed door. Pushing it open, I saw Sophie standing in her bed, well within arm's reach of the door. She had tears streaming down her face and when she saw me her whimpering turned to pleading. I knelt by her bed and hugged her.
Me: Did it get dark in here?
Sophie: (nods)
Me: But dark is okay, especially at bedtime. Dark is when we sleep.
Sophie: (pointing her face, just under her eye) I di
Me: Did you cry?
Sophie: (nods again and reaches out for another hug)
It was sad and adorable at the same time. After some more comforting and another light turned on outside her room, she fell asleep.
I'm not sure how Sophie learned that the dark was scary, but she has certainly formed that opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment