Thursday, August 15, 2019

Enough is Enough (Update)

I'm used to having people stop and comment on how cute my kids are when I run errands with Sophie and Topher. And I'm used to exclamations of surprise when people find out we have five kids.

On Monday, while Peter was at an engineering camp at school, I took the four younger kids to the grocery store. As we stood in the produce section, a white-haired couple came over and the following conversation took place:

Woman: (with a smile) Are all these yours?

Cooper: We're missing one.

Phoebe: There's actually one more.

Woman: (speaking slowly and looking between the children, still smiling) I think...

At this point I was smiling and wondering what the end of her sentence would be. I think you have your hands full? I think you must be busy? I think you must be tired?

But she didn't say any of those things. Nope, instead she said:

Woman: I think...you have enough.

Here are some things I wanted to say in return: I think it's none of your business. I think that's really rude. I think you don't have a say in that particular decision. But what did I actually do?

I laughed, and I'm afraid it wasn't a delighted laugh. It was one of shock.

Just a word of advice, even if you think someone has enough children, don't tell them.

Update: Instead, I recommend the approach of the Walmart employee we walked by today. He saw us, his eyes got big, then he said, "Wow! What a beautiful family you have!"

No comments: