Monday, February 3, 2020

Like Nephi

Phoebe had her turn to speak in Primary yesterday. She wrote about seventy-five percent of this talk and I jumped in and cleaned up the last little bit and added a scripture while everyone was putting their shoes on to go to church. The steps to the podium in the Primary room were a little wobbly, so she stood next to it and delivered her talk from there. She did an excellent job.

Like Nephi

Nephi was a good example to his family during hard times and found good in many things  Laman was a bad example and found bad in many things. They both could have the exact same thing happen to them and have a totally different perspective. Laman would see the afflictions and trials and Nephi would see the blessings. In 1st Nephi chapter 16 verses 17 through 32 we learn about when Nephi broke his bow. After a long journey through the wilderness, Nephi’s family pitched their tents and Nephi and his brothers went hunting for food. Nephi’s bow broke and his brothers were mad at him. Their bows had stopped working, so they had relied on Nephi’s bow.

Verse 20 says: “And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord.”

 In verse 22  it says: "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did speak much unto my brethren, because they had hardened their hearts again, even unto complaining against the Lord their God.

Instead of being angry, Nephi got to work to make a new bow. Verse 23 says: "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones. And I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to obtain food?

This week my mom challenged us to find good things that other people were doing. I found good things that my brothers and sister were doing. For example, my sister was getting up right away every morning and getting ready for school. 

I challenge you to be like Nephi and not like Laman, and to find good things in stuff that is happening. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: