For her Language Arts class, Phoebe was asked to write a Where I'm From poem and given a very specific template to follow. She had to interview family members for the information and Bryan and I were her subjects. I love her final product. I think it's especially cool that both of her grandpas are mentioned, one by name and one by action.
Where I'm From
by Phoebe
I am from books,
From Kindle, and Starbursts
I’m from wandering and traveling, never staying in one place, roaming, moving, not settling down.
It felt like adventure, it seemed so free.
I’m from the great rocky mountains, the middle-aged maple in the back whose slender branches extend like outreaching arms.
I’m from Christmas Eve soup and the noisy and bookish.
From Gilbert and Henry
I’m from the loud and loquacious and over-explaining.
From please be quiet and you’re very sweet.
I’m from reading your scriptures and saying your prayers, from Book of Mormon Stories, and Scripture Power.
I’m from Utah, Norway, Denmark, California, the Mayflower, Germany, Ireland, Sweden, the Powhatan lands, Scotland, England, the Isle of Jersey, and potatoes and corn.
From the science fiction paperback in Grandpa Marc’s back pocket, the fixing cars before you can drive them,
I’m from The Blog and photo albums.
I am from reading and writing, from creating and questioning. I am from answers and love, articulate and kind. I am from all around, and from here right now. I’m from joy and hope, and from hugs and kisses. I’m from love.
1 comment:
Great job, Phoebe!
Post a Comment