Monday, September 4, 2023

Shoeless Joe from Hannibal Mo*

On Saturday evening I went on a walk with Sophie and Phoebe. Sophie started the walk wearing her inexpensive flip flops. I suggested they might not be the best walking shoes and she went back in the house. She came out a minute later wearing a relatively new pair of my tennis shoes. I haven't broken them in yet. I asked her if they were comfortable, she said yes, we started walking.

About fifteen minutes into our walk the shoes had started rubbing raw spots on her foot. Sophie slipped off my shoes and switched to walking barefoot on the street. After a very short distance I took the shoes out of her hand, stepped out of my own comfortable flip flops and put on the stiff shoes. Sophie finished the walk in my sandals.

Today I dropped Peter, Cooper, and Phoebe off at a pool party for the youth at church. We pulled up to the house and I wished them all a fun time. That's when Phoebe announced that she didn't have any shoes. I repeated what she said and asked if I had heard her correctly. Yes, she had gotten into the van without any footwear. Once again, I pulled off my sandals and handed them to one of my daughters. I drove home barefoot.

Apparently my role as a mom is now to give up my shoes to my kids. Also, it works out well that we currently all have the same shoe size.

* I will be incredibly impressed if anyone gets this musical theatre reference without Googling it. Hint: I never say the full title of this show.

2 comments:

Marc R. said...

Joseph “Shoeless Joe” Jackson, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, was born in Greenville, South Carolina, the song not withstanding.

Brett M said...

I know the answer and I've never even seen the show 💪🏻