Sophie spoke in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday. She was given the prompt "What are things that have helped me feel closer to my family and Jesus Christ?" She and I talked through some different ideas. I found out that she had written an essay for school about our Christmas Eve tradition. I suggested that would make a great talk. This is what she came up with. I've opted to keep her original spelling and punctuation.
I love this time of year because of the joy, warmth, hope, and peace I feel. I really enjoy the traditions my family has, some of my favorites include;
Decorating our Christmas tree together, watching Christmas movies, making wassail, and opening Christmas pjs. My most favorite tradition is our Christmas eve tradition. On Christmas eve instead of having a huge feast, we have a simple meal of bread and soup. There are two reasons why we do this. The first reason is what happened on my parents' third Christmas. My parents hadn’t made any special plans so they didn’t have a big meal prepared. Their Bishop came by with loaves of bread for the couples who had stayed at school for Christmas. My parents were very thankful for the bread they found some soup in their cupboard and that’s how the tradition started but the reason we keep it going is because Jesus was born into humble circumstances and he continued that way throughout his life as we read in Luke chapter 9 verse 58 we learn “ And Jesus said unto him, foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the son of man hath not were to lay his head.”
This tradition makes me happy it makes me feel as if Jesus were right next to me and I feel warm inside, I know it’s his love I bear my testimony that I know that Jesus loves everyone of us and we can feel his warmth as we grow closer to him in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment