Friday, January 30, 2009

Goodbye Comfort Zone, It's Been Swell

The mother's room at church is a happening place. One woman told me that there were 38 babies born in the ward last year. That's a lot of babies that need to nurse. In fact, I've been more successful meeting people in the mother's room than I have anywhere else in the ward.

This Sunday it was a little calmer than usual. It was just me and one other mom. We started talking and discovered that her son was just a few weeks younger than Cooper. We both finished up at the same time. As I was gathering my stuff together I did something that I don't usually do. I invited her family over for a playdate for yesterday. This is the first time that I've invited someone over that I don't really know. I think she tried to decline, but I just acted naive and asked what time was good for her.

And then I worried about it all week. Some of those worries included: Was she just being polite? Is it going to be awkward? Will the kids play well together? Will they even care? Do I come off as weird for inviting over a family that I don't know? Should I call and cancel?

Yesterday morning we were ready to go at the designated time. And we waited. After ten minutes I told Peter that I didn't think they were coming. It's much harder to think that your child is being rejected than it is to be rejected yourself. He was okay, although he did ask if I was sad.

But then there was a knock on the door. I should remember that it takes me forever to get anywhere with two kids and that it probably takes other people a long time as well. So we weren't stood up after all. Which was nice. The visit was pleasant, although Peter gets a little (read: majorly) intense when other kids are over. We're working on it.

Anyway, toward the end the mom told me how she and a few other moms in the ward get together three mornings a week at the complex clubhouse to exercise. I made some comment about how that must be nice. And then she asked if I wanted to join them. Now this is tough for me. I really want to make friends in the ward and have been having kind of a ridiculously hard time (hold on one minute while I hold a mini pity party for myself...okay, done). And I haven't been getting any kind of physical activity, except for our dancing parties, so the exercise would be really good for me. But I've never been a gym-going girl. And I don't have any workout clothes that fit. (I do have some old dance pants that I insisted on wearing when I was pregnant, thus stretching them way out, that might work if I could rig them so they won't fall off.)

But I said yes. I'm supposed to be down at the clubhouse with the boys at 9:30.

Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Cristin said...

Wow. I suffer from the same problem. It is hard for me to get out of my comfort zone and associate with new people. I've been trying my hardest to make efforts, except invitations, MAKE invitations, etc. I feel like things are getting better. I, at least, just need to suck it up and stop worrying about it. I don't know why it is so hard!

GCC said...

Wow - definitely a bit scary! I think it's a great idea, though - good luck!!

the Rowleys said...

I've just discovered your blog from facebook, and I have to say I love it! Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts, keep it up, I look forward to getting to know you better through it. :)

Charlynn said...

Good for you! I have some sweat pants you could borrow if you want. We need to get our boys together again.

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

good for you! i have the same "problem"

Beth said...

Good job, Margot! I am a big chicken when it comes to that kind of thing, too. And my "workout clothes" are laughable, as would be my "workout." And my oldest can be a little intense (but also pretty friendly).

Anyway, I admire you for stepping out of your comfort zone; that always takes guts.