Monday, May 20, 2019

Look Up

I listened to 1 Nephi chapter 17 while I prepped dinner today. Verse 41 stood out to me. This is Nephi speaking about Moses and the children of Israel.

41 And he did straiten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they hardened their hearts, even as ye have; and the Lord straitened them because of their iniquity. He sent fiery flying serpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the simpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished.

I often think about the power of this verse. The Israelites were dying because of those snake bites, but looking at Moses' staff was just too easy, so they didn't do it. How many of us are in pain and we refuse to take even small steps to relieve it, because it's too simple? Because it won't be enough? 

I've been introspective about this throughout the day. What are my snake bites? Or taking it back a step, is my heart hard in any way that might lead to my own metaphorical snake bites? Am I willing to look up? To look to Heavenly Father for help? To the Savior and the power of the Atonement? Am I willing to set aside pride to get help?

I think deep thoughts while cooking chicken.

No comments: