Friday, May 10, 2019

Life of Mom: The Words

A few years ago I noticed several blog posts and Facebook updates encouraging moms to "get in the picture." I think about that campaign sometimes as I'm taking pictures of my kids and their accomplishments or shenanigans. I realize that I'm not in very many pictures these days because I'm often the one behind the camera.

On Sunday night I found the picture that Phoebe took that I posted on Monday. Looking at that picture inspired me. I wondered if I could find enough pictures with me in them to post for the whole week before Mother's Day, pictures that would chronicle, at least in part, my job as a mom. I came close with four out of five days and decided to save Friday for words.

This job of mine, it's hard work. There are no days off, no lunch breaks, no substitutes to cover for me. Bryan is wonderful and goes out of his way to support me and give me a breather now and then, but I still feel like I'm always on duty. Today I literally woke up tired and ready for a nap.

Does it sound like I'm complaining? Don't worry, I'm not, just painting a picture. Because the thing about this insanely hard job is that I love it. Love, love, love, love, love it. I love these little (and not so little) humans that I get to teach and watch grow and learn. I love that I made the choice to be with them at home. There are times when I feel judged or looked down on for my choice to stay home. Sometimes that judgement comes from my own brain. But when I can get outside my own insecurities I can see that this is the right choice for our family.

This last year has been exhausting, physically and mentally and emotionally. One thing I've done to treat that has been to focus on the love and gratitude I have for my family. In my morning and evening prayers I talk about how much I love them. Then I tell them each day that I love them. And the more I talk about it, the more I feel it. That keeps me moving forward.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: