Monday, December 29, 2014

Little Artists

Our illness coincided with a visit from my parents and grandma who had come all the way from southern California. The original plan was to have them stay at our house, but pesky things like vomit and intense stomach cramps made that difficult. Instead, they slept at a nearby hotel and came over each day to spend time with the healthy and to take care of the plague-ridden. I'm so thankful they risked catching our germs so we could see them. And I think they appreciated sleeping in a place where small people couldn't wake them up each morning.

One of the highlights of the visit was an art lesson from Grandma Bonnie. Some of the students were more attentive than others. During the first round (it was a two-part lesson) she taught them to draw an ocean and a palm tree. Cooper drew a lovely ocean and palm tree. Phoebe gave her best effort to draw the scene. Peter drew an owl.

The second round went a little better. Everyone followed directions and even painted the same picture. Cooper kept thanking her for the art lesson. While all the kids loved it, I think it was especially wonderful for him. And bonus, my Grandma didn't feel like pulling all her hair out in frustration at the conclusion of the tutorial. Any activity with my children that doesn't leave you feeling frustrated and overwhelmed is a success in my book!





Thank you Grandma Bonnie! We love you!

Oh, and I didn't hesitate at all when typing those exclamation points. I mean them deeply.