You know that project I'm working on? Well, I had to put it on hold for a few days so I could write a talk. I think it went well, and, as such things often go, my topic was one that I benefited from reviewing. Today will be spent making up for lost time. That means Phoebe will probably get to watch movies while I knock out the bulk of my work.
Want to read my talk? I was only given eight minutes, which required lots of edits and judicious quote placement. Here it is:
A few weeks ago we had a Laundry Folding Party at our house. I know, it sounds fun, doesn’t it? And really, it’s about as fun as laundry gets. Each person is responsible for folding their own clothes while we watch a movie together as a family. On this particular day we were introducing our kids to The Sound of Music.
Want to read my talk? I was only given eight minutes, which required lots of edits and judicious quote placement. Here it is:
Mercy
A few weeks ago we had a Laundry Folding Party at our house. I know, it sounds fun, doesn’t it? And really, it’s about as fun as laundry gets. Each person is responsible for folding their own clothes while we watch a movie together as a family. On this particular day we were introducing our kids to The Sound of Music.
The
plan was to fold the laundry, then do something fun. The kids needed to finish
with their clothes before they could move on to the next activity. The deadline
was the end of the movie.
Eight-year-old
Peter and four-year-old Phoebe raced through their laundry so they could be
done. But six-year-old Cooper doesn’t rush. Ever. He has inherited the pesky
practice of procrastination. So while the other two were enjoying the movie,
unburdened by a basket of clothes, Cooper was stuck, complaining and dawdling,
but not making much of a dent in his pile.
We
kept encouraging him. “Come on, Cooper, keep folding.” “Cooper, you really want
to finish.” “Cooper, the movie doesn’t have much time left.” I finished folding
my laundry, baby Sophie’s laundry, and all the towels and blankets. We were
almost to the part of the movie when the Von Trapp family has to sing at the
festival. His time was coming to an end, and still he had only worked through
half the items in front of him.
I
started to get antsy. I sat, watching Cooper slooowly fold his clothes,
wondering what else I could possibly do to get him to move faster.
A
thought jumped into my head, “Help him fold the clothes.”
No,
I reasoned, I can’t. He knew what he had to do and he decided not to do it. The
other kids didn’t have help and they finished. It wouldn’t be fair for me to
help Cooper. It wouldn’t be just.
Justice
is a funny thing. My children often clamor for it for their siblings. They want
my treatment of everyone to “fair,” especially when they have been hurt or
offended. But when they are the ones that have done the wrong, justice is not
what they ask for. Instead, they want mercy. I admit, when I’m in their
position, I don’t want justice either, I want mercy.
According
to lds.org, “Mercy is the compassionate treatment of a person greater than what
is deserved, and it is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Our
Heavenly Father knows our weaknesses and sins. He shows mercy when He forgives us
of our sins and helps us return to dwell in His presence.”
In
the April 1990 General Conference, President Gordon B. Hinckley, then the first
counselor in the First Presidency, spoke about mercy. He said, “How godlike a
quality is mercy. It cannot be legislated. It must come from the heart. It must
be stirred up from within. It is part of the endowment each of us receives as a
son or daughter of God and partaker of a divine birthright.”
Did
you catch that last line? I’ll read it again, “It is part of the endowment each
of us receives as a son or daughter of God and partaker of a divine birthright.”
Mercy is a gift that we receive from Heavenly Father. And it must be stirred up
from within. Think about that. Inside each one of us, the tendency to be
merciful is lying dormant, waiting to be awakened, waiting to be used.
During
his lifetime, Christ taught us to be merciful. Matthew 5:7 says, “Blessed are
the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.” Then again in Luke 6:36, “Be ye
therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.” The Savior exemplified the
principle that he taught. He showed love and mercy and compassion for all, even
those that appeared to be undeserving. He made mercy possible by suffering for
our sins. His personal sacrifice fulfilled the law of justice and gave us the
opportunity to repent and return to live with our Heavenly Father. He gave us
the gift of mercy.
Stephen
E. Robinson wrote in his book Believing Christ, “It really isn’t fair
that one person should suffer for the sins of others. It isn’t fair that some
people can commit horrible crimes and then be completely forgiven and cleansed
without having to suffer for them. It isn’t fair that those who labor for only
an hour will get the same reward as those who labor all day. (See Matt. 20:16.)
No, the gospel sometimes isn’t fair, but that is actually part of the good
news. It isn’t fair—it’s merciful, and thank God it is so, for no human being
can stand acquitted before the demands of absolute justice.”
Back
to my laundry dilemma: should I follow that urge to help Cooper. Or should I
allow the natural consequences to follow his choices? I stayed on the couch,
hesitating. Again the prompting came, “Help him fold the clothes.”
In
the same talk I quoted earlier, President Hinckley spoke directly to parents,
saying, “Every child, with few possible exceptions, is the product of a home,
be it good, bad, or indifferent. As children grow through the years, their
lives, in large measure, become an extension and a reflection of family
teaching. If there is harshness, abuse, uncontrolled anger, disloyalty, the
fruits will be certain and discernible, and in all likelihood they will be
repeated in the generation that follows. If, on the other hand, there is
forbearance, forgiveness, respect, consideration, kindness, mercy, and
compassion, the fruits again will be discernible, and they will be eternally
rewarding. They will be positive and sweet and wonderful. And as mercy is given
and taught by parents, it will be repeated in the lives and actions of the next
generation…
“I
plead for an effort among all of us to give greater expression and wider
latitude to this instinct which lies within us. I am convinced that there comes
a time, possibly many times, within our lives when we might cry out for mercy
on the part of others. How can we expect it unless we have been merciful
ourselves?”
I
slipped off the couch and sat by Cooper. I had folded half a dozen items before
he realized what I was doing. With surprise in his voice he asked, “Are you
helping me?”
I
nodded. I had been afraid he would stop folding altogether, but he didn’t. He
folded faster. As the Von Trapps walked through the Alps on our TV, Cooper and
I finished his pile of clothes. He qualified for the treat afterward. Justice
and mercy had both won.
Blessed
are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ
both want to give us the gift of mercy. It is available to all. As you think about
the birth of the Savior this week, remember that beautiful gift. Share it.
Exemplify it. You will be blessed as you bless those around you. I testify that
these things are true, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
4 comments:
Wonderful and touching.
That was beautiful.
Thank you
I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing!
What a great day to check in on your blog. This was beautiful and much needed, thank you!
Post a Comment