The girls and I braved the outside world and attended their first in-person Primary activity in over a year. On Saturday morning we wore our masks and took our box of chalk to the church parking lot. There were only two other girls, plus two leaders, there. The plan was to draw beautiful chalk pictures on the back sidewalk and parking lot of the church building for the members to enjoy the following day.
I decided to take the girls for two reasons: I was going to be there and could help them keep a reasonable distance from others that were attending (this was important since one little girl kept running over near where we were and the others at the activity weren't social distancing from each other at all) and because there is an unfortunate belief among some of the members of our ward that we are inactive and don't want contact. This is so completely untrue, we have attended nearly every virtual meeting that has been held. I wanted to show up to something in person to try and squash that rumor.
Phoebe and Sophie were both really anxious and uncomfortable about going. I had to give them pep talks on the drive there. Every time one of the leaders or other girls came over to see what Phoebe and Sophie were drawing, Sophie would back way up. I was glad she was being careful, but I also took a few minutes to show her how far away six feet was, rather than the twelve to fifteen she was moving.
There were stressful moments for our girls, like watching the others sit right next to each other in camp chairs at the beginning of the activity. But there were good moments too, like getting to see a good friend in person and at a good distance. And they did have fun being outside and drawing. Also, it was unseasonably cold for May 1st, so we were bundled up.







1 comment:
I love the artwork!
=0)
Post a Comment