Thursday, February 19, 2009

All Day at the Dentist?*

The last two days have been weird. Weirder for Bryan than for me, but still not totally normal.

Bryan has extremely thin enamel on his teeth, which means that he's gotten loads of fillings over the last twenty years. (I really don't know when he got his first filling, I'm just guestimating. No, that's not really a word.) And unfortunately, all of those fillings need to be replaced. He met with someone from our dentist's office who wrote out a plan for this major dental-project. They divided his mouth into quadrants. In December he had the first quadrant replaced. Yesterday they did the second quadrant.

In order to get everything done in one fell swoop he needed to be in the dentist's chair from eight in the morning until just after two in the afternoon. Yup, more than six hours of dental work. I like the dentist, but that's even hard for me to handle. Anyway, our dentist does the sedation thing. That means you take some medication the night before and the morning of and then for the rest of the day you're in a foggy, half-awake half-asleep, Twilight-Zone kind of place. Bryan was not allowed to drive a car for twenty-four hours after the procedure. He also wasn't allowed to hold or care for children.

That meant that I was on all day yesterday, caring for all three of the men at my house. After coming home and sleeping for three hours I thought that most of the medication had worn off. Nope. I asked him today about some things we discussed in the evening after the boys went to bed and he had no idea what I was talking about. He basically lost yesterday. It's just gone. Which I think would be kind of scary. And he's been in a fog most of today.

But his teeth sure look pretty.

*Name the movie!

4 comments:

Beth said...

UGH, what an experience for both of you. I don't mind the dentist too much (I put the "too much" caveat on there because of a period last year where I kept chipping the front tooth that he had repaired and had to go into the dentist, like, weekly ... turns out I grind my teeth at night so now I wear a (horribly uncomfortable) night guard).

And it's the pits to try to care for a whole family singlehandedly. Even doing a "single mom" stint is preferable than having to take care of the kids AND the husband, too. And you have to do this two more times?? (I'm guessing from the quadrant-discussion...) I'm sorry! (Plus, yeah -- WEIRD to be talking to him and not have him "there"...)

Maegan said...

I know what movie that is-That thing you Do! Am I right, because if that is not the movie, you thought of, that quote is in that movie!

Margot said...

Ding ding ding! That is correct! That Thing You Do is one of my favorite movies. Well done.

Jordan said...

I just realized you only put one space in between sentences. I know that that's the standard these days, but the double-space makes the sentences more distinct. Oh, and sorry about your husband's disappearance (what do you expect from a writing student?)