Monday, February 23, 2009

Someone to Emulate

I had the opportunity to attend the funeral of my Great-Uncle Homer on Saturday. He passed away last Wednesday, just a few months shy of his ninety-eighth birthday. My Grandma said he and my Grandpa (his brother-in-law) must be having a wonderful time together. One of the things that I learned at the funeral is that he had sayings written and posted all over his house so that he would remember to live by them. A handful of them were printed in the program. I'd like to remember them, so I'm recording them here.
  • Your life is a manifestation of what you think of Christ.
  • Keep working for the Lord; the pay isn't much in dollars, but the retirement is out of this world!
  • How will I feel tomorrow about today's decisions?
  • Stay focused on the Savior.
  • "The truest mark of your success in life will be the quality of your marriage. The choice of a companion will be the most important of all the choices you will make in your life." -President Gordon B. Hinckley
  • "The day obedience became a quest and not an irritation I began to have power."-President Ezra Taft Benson
  • Pride would tell us who is right. Humility would tell us what is right.
  • God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord.- 2 Timothy 1:7-8
  • Create Happiness
The last one is my favorite. I'm a naturally optimistic person and I love the idea of creating happiness.

The thing that is most inspiring to me is that Uncle Homer never stopped trying to improve. At almost ninety-eight he was still striving to be better. I want to follow his example.

1 comment:

the Rowleys said...

Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed those quotes. Thanks for sharing the knowledge/wisdom from your Uncle.