Tuesday, August 4, 2009

All By Myself

Peter likes to do everything on his own. EVERYTHING. I pick a cup off the counter and try to hand it to him and he puts it back on the counter so that he can get it himself. I admire his desire to be independent, but sometimes it's exhausting watching him undo and then redo the work that I've just done.

Despite that, I do what I can to accommodate this I'll-do-it-myself streak by giving him options: Peter would you go choose your breakfast cereal? Would you please go pick out your clothes for the day? Do you want to put yourself in timeout or should I do it? (This last one is usually met with a resounding "I will NOT put myself in timeout and YOU will not put me in timeout EITHER!")

One aspect of his independence that I applaud is that Peter loves to say prayers all by himself. He is a pro at blessing the food and often reminds Cooper to fold his arms so that he can pray. Cooper in turn dutifully bows his head and folds his arms while he watches Peter bless the food. Yes, this does melt my heart, thank you for asking.

Last night Peter insisted on saying his evening prayers by himself, his first solo attempt. After a good opening he went on to giving thanks, but I think we need to explain the difference between "thankful" and "please bless" because this is what he said:

"I thank Thee for my family. And I thank Thee that we can put my bed right there by the nightlight and the crib over by the clock and Mommy and Daddy's bed where the crib used to be."

And then he closed the prayer, looked at us, and asked what was so funny. I should state that this room rearrangement was news to us. I had been stifling my laughter and peeking at Peter as he gestured around the room to make sure he was clear about where everyone would sleep.

I wonder if he'll take his quest for independence one step further and rearrange the room himself.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Maybe Peter will grow up to be a lawyer. He knows how to argue for the defense.