Monday, August 17, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Behold, the garden:

Two of the empty spots are from the peas that died in July and the potatoes that I pulled up last week. I think the grasshoppers had been feasting on them. The leaves were all dead. In all we harvested thirty-five potatoes. Not bad. Our next largest crop so far has been cucumbers. I planted twice as many as I should have. I also planted about a third as many beans as I should have. Oh well, it's my first garden, and thus a major learning experience. Also, do you like the abandoned beds of weeds on either side of our garden?

And now, a few close-ups.

The pumpkin:


Technically, it's pumpkins. I found two more small gourds growing, but they're still green and therefore don't show up in this picture due to the massive leaves.

The fluffy and abundant carrots:


I thinned them a few weeks ago and for days could see nothing but carrot tops when I closed my eyes. Seriously.

The tomatoes:

We have three tomato plants and, barring birds or bugs, will pick at least sixty-six tomatoes from them. I really love tomatoes.

Are you growing anything this year?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm in the midst of growing a baby. That's all. :p

Shari said...

It looks so beautiful! I learned a lot when we started that garden-I felt a little rusty as we don't garden down here in Texas-too many bugs and it's way too hot for me. You've kept it up beautifully and added so much more than the little bit we planted when I was there in the spring. I hope you decide to garden next year. I'll bet you have a green thumb now:)

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

I learned that those purple potatoes are a "breed" (or whatever the technical term is for genetically mutated potatoes) designed to withstand cold, harsh winters. hm. whadduh ya know.