Bryan and I were reupholstering a chair last night and decided to watch something that didn't require a great deal of concentration. After looking through the choices we had on hand Bryan decided on something. About a minute into the movie I realized I had never seen it before, which was kind of surprising to me. I know I've seen at least one of the sequels and a recent "reboot", but not the original. No, I'm not talking about Star Trek. (I've seen all of those... and own many of them.) Nope this is a different franchise.
I had never seen Superman.
Wow. My first thought while watching it was, "Movies have really come a long way." I asked Bryan all kinds of questions during our viewing about pesky things like gaping plot holes and hokey special effects. My suspension of disbelief is pretty willing, but this was difficult to watch with a straight face.
I love a good Superhero movie. X-Men and X2: fabulous. Spider-Man: great. Spider-Man 2: even better. (Yes, I did leave X-Men: The Last Stand and Spider-Man 3 out of that list on purpose. They hurt my soul.) Ironman: Can't wait for the sequel! Heck, I even liked both The Hulk and The Incredible Hulk. Superman The Movie: Seriously?
One good thing about it, other than the casting of an actress with a fabulous name, was the wide-eyed innocence of Clark Kent. That was kind of fun.
You know, it was just fine as long as I reminded myself that it was a comedy.
It is a comedy, right?
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I had something really clever to say last night at 1 a.m. about our experience watching the movie, but I completely forgot.
I think it was about Lois' tobacco stained teeth, or perhaps the full frontal nudity at the beginning of the film.
Oh well.
Yes, it's kind of hokey, but they really capture the spirit of Superman. He's a good guy that just wants to do the right thing. That, more than anything else, is what Superman is about. That's why (as stupid as it was scientifically) him going back in time to save Lois was so poignant.
And Christopher Reeve is the only actor that can be Superman. Confident and strong with the cape, clumsy and bumbling with the glasses.
And you thought that was bad? Watch the sequel, then the Donner re-cut. At least the third one had Richard Prior and WAS a comedy. No such excuse with the second.
Is it the first one that has Superman take Lois up flying for the first time? That is one of the cheesiest scenes in any movie, ever.
Post a Comment