Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Buckle Up

Driving on the freeway heading home from Bryan's grandparent's house one evening last year I looked out my window and saw something that made me angry. Very angry. In the back seat of a car a fellow was holding a baby. No car seat, just his arms. I wanted to roll down my window and yell at him for placing his child (I assumed he was the father) in such incredible danger.

A few days ago I read about this car accident.

Yesterday Bryan sent me an article about a woman who was cited for nursing her baby while she drove. The mom was taking her other kids to school and it was time to feed the baby, so she did.

Honestly, how can someone think that is okay? I'm a big supporter of breastfeeding, don't get me wrong, but I in no way support acts of stupidity that endanger the lives of others. Car seats are wonderful and have a purpose. If you had a chance to keep your children safe, wouldn't you take it?

If your child is screaming and crying and you feel like you need to get them out of their car seat, pull into a parking lot and stop the car. Please.

5 comments:

LeMira said...

I'm right there with you in your anger. I have a hard time when people "justify" the reasons for taking a baby or child out of the car seat.

Ian said...

It's important to note that the breast-feeding driver was also cited for talking on her cell phone at the time. I think the only things she was missing for the Guinness Book of World Records would be to also eat and do her make-up. But agreed, very infuriating.

The Stells! said...

I just don't understand why some parents think its okay....buckle your kids up there is no reason not to! Like you said if they wont stop crying pull over but don't take them out.

Cristin said...

That's weird. She cared enough for her baby to feed it, but not enough to actually buckle the baby up.

Patrick, Adrienne, Isabella, & Makenzie said...

that makes me soo angry! i just don't know how people do some of the things they do!