I was wrong.
Cooper had his one year well-baby check-up last week. I commented to Bryan a few weeks ago that I was afraid Cooper wasn't growing. In truth he is growing, just not very much. He put on less than a pound in the last three months. I asked the doctor if I should be worried and he said no, most babies this age have a dip in their weight gain because of their new-found mobility and that we would reassess the situation at Cooper's 15-month check-up.
His reassurance didn't do much to calm me though. I'm not pacing the floors at night, but I have been using my powers of deduction to figure out why Cooper is so little. Here are a few of my theories:
- Cooper has never liked solid food and therefore is not a voracious eater. We have been very slow to introduce new things (because of the family history of food allergies) so he's still been eating baby food, which makes me feel like a lazy mom. I've been working to feed him more age-appropriate meals.
- He's just inherited my short genes, which means while Peter is swimming and playing basketball, Cooper will be wrestling and playing football. (Yeah, right.)
- He's doing me a favor and staying small until he can walk so I won't have to carry around a giant baby.
He's like his big brother when it comes to head circumference: 90th percentile. My boys have giant craniums, what can I say?
3 comments:
At least he's on the chart! Sam doesn't even register on the darn thing (at least he didn't last checkup). He's just my little guy! Benjamin is 3 1/2 years younger and they're almost the same weight! Clearly Sam takes after me, and Benjamin takes after Dad. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
He is so cute in that picture. He looks like a little boy face on a baby's body, does that makes sense?
I'm so glad you posted this, and I am here to tell you NOT to stress. I actually met with a dietician, and the growth curves are for babies who aren't breastfed. And she said it is natural for breastfeed babies to drop off on the weight charts between 6-12 months. In fact myself and another friend in my ward both have 1 years olds that are only 18 pounds, and Alana didn't gain any weight between 9-12 months. NONE! So, don't worry if you still have a Mini-Cooper (and my friend's baby is also named Cooper) because he has been fed in an ideal way and even if he's small now, what you have done will have such long term benefits! Sorry for the book, I just remember the worry I felt at Alana's 1 year check up, but after learning more I was glad. Oh, and if they get sick babies can lose 1/2-1 pound! Crazy!
Post a Comment